Léon Courville, speaker, businessman, winemaker, and economist
Léon Courville, speaker, is currently pursuing his third career. After passing through teaching and economic research at the HEC (Higher Commercial Studies), he became a banker and took on the responsibilities of President of the National Bank. Then, in 2000, he became an entrepreneur and acquired a vineyard named after him in the Eastern Townships.
Furthermore, he is known for his talents as a speaker and author, thanks to his passion, his originality, and communication skills. Léon Courville, speaker, developed a vision of the future based on his own observations with regard to rapid and drastic changes taking place in today’s society and how individuals and organizations should adapt accordingly.
It should be pointed out that Mr. Courville’s work was recognized by several prizes and awards in Canada and abroad, including the Coopers & Lybrand Best Business Book Award for his book called: ‘‘Piloter dans la tempête’’.
Léon Courville’s Keynotes presentations :
- Duration: approximately 60 minutes, adaptable to your needs and preferences
- Keynotes available in both English and French
- A preparatory call with the speaker is planned to select and adapt the content of the presentation
THE STORM: NAVIGATING THE NEW ECONOMY
Building on his experience and extensive career, Léon Courville, speaker, shares his vision of success for 2020. He claims that modern society and economy involve unprecedented rapid and drastic changes and provides solutions so everyone can adapt and be able to move forward.
What’s the secret? It is to make use of changes and turn them into opportunities. In order to do so, your business must become flexible in its global structure to quickly perform the required changes. At the same time, you must mobilize your staff instead of managing them so they can turn their knowledge into creativity.
Flexibility and creativity is the recipe for success!
Do you want to implement and promote such values in your organization? Léon Courville, speaker, will give you some insights in order for you to reach these goals.
Léon Courville’s Biography :
On a land he acquired in 1981, he planted his first vines in 1999 with the aim of producing top-class wines through appropriate vine growing and modern winemaking processes. There are noble grape varieties, such as Riesling, Chardonnay, and Pinot noir as well as traditional hybrid vines that are quite popular in Ontario. Moreover, he is the first winegrower to successfully sell a dry white wine at a sales price of over $30. Evidently, his wines received many awards and distinctions, from numerous international specialists.
As of 2011, due to trade condition imbalance impacted by wine importations, he undertook a project with Denis Paradis in order to develop Quebec wine sales network, while being aware of the many challenges and obstacles they would face. His tenacity finally paid off in December 2015, with the introduction of the Bill 88. Lastly, he became President of the Brome-Missisquoi Wine Producers Association and Founder of the grouping called: ‘‘Le Québec dans nos verres’’ aiming to promote the Bill 88.
NATIONAL BANK OF CANADA CAREER
His career at the National Bank marked this institution by transforming such organization that was traditionally oriented toward business processes and products, so it can now focus on customers and service. Furthermore, he guided the Bank toward new investment areas, such as trust and insurance.
He also led changes in the accounting and information system and conducted the IT service outsourcing operation, which was the first of its kind in Canada. Finally, he issued the very first Canadian market-linked deposit certificates.
- Main research interests: industrial structure and related disciplines, namely regulation and finance. He developed the Economy and Organization course and replaced Jacques Parizeau as Manager of the Institute of Applied Economics.
- He performed 60 economy and management conferences.
- He took part to more than 20 research projects for organizations, such as: Alcan, Shell Canada, C.D. Howe Institute, the Economic Council of Canada, the Quebec government as well as numerous universities.
- He issued more than 30 economy and management publications.
- He published a book focusing on managers’ challenges in an unpredictable economy. Piloter dans la tempête (The Storm: Navigating the New Economy) (Coopers & Lybrand Business Book Award).
BOARDS OF DIRECTORS
- Institut de tourisme et d’hôtellerie du Québec, Member of the Board of Directors
- PSP Investments, Member of the Board of Directors
- Montreal Economic Institute, Member of the Board of Directors
- Montreal Structured Finance and Derivatives Institute, Chairman of the Board
- Motivation, success, and personal growth
- Public affairs, economy, and politics
- Team mobilization
*Available in both English and French
Wireless headset microphone
Small table or lectern (for notes and a water bottle)
Laptop (M. Courville brings his PwerPoint presentation on a USB key)
Screen and projector
FORMAX KEYNOTE SPEAKER SHOWCASE – Québec 2017 (French)